December 20, 2014

Cosmos VFX: A Blender Odyssey (Recreating a Space Shot)

Hey gang,

I've just spent the last few days working on tweaking this visual effects shot I created. Initially inspired by an fxguidetv episode that covered the making of "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey", I eventually wanted to create my own rendition that depicts the surface of the sun.

Most of the elements were created in blender. I used Cycles to render the spaceship interior, and then rendered out a noise texture mapped to a plane for the sunspots and warping texture. I also rendered out black and white versions of the solar flares as smoke simulations.

In Nuke, I took all the elements, tweaked their colors, added film grain, lens effects and some subtle camera shake and voila! Here's the result:



Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment